We use Cookies to keep the Language set to your preference. By using this website you agree to our privacy policy.

Small topic picture

Language and education

You want to learn German, go to school or train for a job? There are language courses. Depending on your country of origin and status, you can do different courses. Children under 18 have to go to school.

School, Kindergarten, job training and studying

In Germany, all children are obliged to go to school. In Germany, a child is anyone under the age of 18. In Baden-Württemberg, there are different kinds of schools.
If you want to train for a job, you can do vocational training (Ausbildung) or study.

In Germany, children under the age of three can go to a creche. When your child is older than one year, it has a right to a place in a creche. There are not always enough creche places. Speak to a creche in the town where you live or ask an advice office. If you are not earning money, the Sozialamt or the Job Center will pay for the creche. Ask an advice office.

If your child is older than three and younger than six, he or she can go to Kindergarten. You have right to a Kindergarten place. There are not always enough Kindergarten places. Ask the Kindergartens or an advice office.If you are not earning money, the Sozialamt or the Job Center will pay. Ask an advice office. Children who do not yet speak good german can sometimes go to Kindergarten for longer. Ask the Jugendamt or an advice office.

If your children are older than six and younger than 18 years, they are obliged to go to school. In Germany there are different schools and sometimes also special classes for learning german. These classes are called „Vorbereitungsklassen“ (preparation classes). Ask a school or an advice office.
People between the ages of 18 and 21 can sometimes also go to school. Sometimes there are special classes to learn german. Ask about VABO classes. These classes are often at vocational colleges. In Baden-Württemberg, children are only obliged to go to school when they have been living in Germany for more than six months. However, they have a right to go to school from the first day they arrive in Germany. Ask advice office.

Vocational training
If you want to train for a job, you can do an Ausbildung (vocational training). You have to speak german and possibly also have education certificates. In many cases, you have to have german at B1 level in order to do an Ausbildung. If you have education certificates, or if you have lost them, contact an advice centre for the recognition of qualifications (Anerkennungsberatung). In Germany, there is vocational training in a college and vocational training in the workplace. Ask an advice office.
Not everyone can do an Ausbildung. Sometimes refugees in Germany are not allowed to do an Ausbildung. More information about whether or not you can do an Ausbildung can be found in this table by the GGUA (unfortunately, only in german). Ask an advice office-Stelle.
In many cases, you stay in Germany if you do an Ausbildung, even if you have been rejected in the asylum process. You then get an Ausbildungs-Duldung. Ask an advice office.

You can study in Germany. You have to speak good german and have education certificates. The certificates have to be translated into german and certified. Ask an advice office or a university. If you have certificates or have lost them, ask an advice office for the recognition of qualifications.

Language courses

In Germany, there are language courses for learning german. There are different kinds of language courses. You can go to many language courses at the same time. Often there are not enough language courses.

Language course for beginners
Anyone can do a language course for beginners. There are only a small number of places in the beginners' courses. Often you have to wait before you can start.
In different districts, there are different rules for the beginners' language courses. Ask an advice office or the Sozialamt, if you want to do a language course for beginners-

Integration course
The course lasts six months and costs money. Anyone can do an integration course if they pay for it themselves.

The integration course is free of charge for the following people, as long as they are not working:
- People with an Aufenthaltserlaubnis. You have the right to an integration course. If you do not get a place, ask a migration advice centre (Migrationsberatungs-Stelle).
- People from Eritrea and Syria during their asylum process. You have to make an application to the BAMF. Ask an advice office.
- All people who came to Germany before August 1st 2019, have been in Germany for at least three months, are in the asylum process and are registered as unemployed or looking for employment.
- People with a special kind of Duldung (§ 60a Abs. 2 Satz 3 AufenthG).
Sometimes there are too few integration courses. Maybe you will not get a place in the integration course. Often, you have to wait before you can start.

Other language courses
In some cities there are other language courses. Ask an advice office.

Volunteer language courses
In many cities, there are language courses done by volunteers. Those teaching do not get paid and are often not qualified teachers. You can often get into a volunteer language course quickly. Ask an advice office about volunteer language courses.

Software for learning languages
There are websites and Apps for learning german. An overview can be found on the website of Pro Asyl.